Finding A Local Electrician in Nottingham
Inviting a local tradesman in to your home or business can be a daunting task especial a tradesman that can provide the service you need and look after your home or business with the respect it deserves. There are many factors to concentrate on when picking a tradesman such as review trade associations
But finding the right tradesman need not be a hard task if you follow the following advice
- Remember to be clear about what you want and always ask for a written quotation.
- Ask for references, a good electrician will not hesitate to provide them.
- Check that they are registered with a reputable body, don’t just take their word for it
- Ask the electricians to provide a copy of their Public Liability Insurance and enquire as to whether they have a complaints resolution process
- Ask if they offer an insurance- backed warranty.
- If you are not employing the electrician directly but through a main contractor/builder, then we would still recommend that you check the electrician’s credentials by following points 3 – 5 above. If you have to request the information via your main contractor/builder do not be afraid to ask for more than verbal assurances as these will not provide you with any recourse if the electrician turns out to be a rogue electrician.
- Avoid dealing in cash as it is easy to lose track of what you have paid. Pay by cheque or card and always ask for a receipt.
During the work
- If you do need to make changes, confirm these with the electrician in writing.
- If you have any concerns/queries talk to the electrician straight away. Make it clear exactly what you are concerned/unhappy about.
- If you are unable to resolve any issues with the electrician or the company who employ them, contact the organisation they are registered with, as they will be able to advise you and will work with both parties to try and reach a solution.
After the work is completed
- Where required, the electrician should provide you with an electrical installation certificate which will confirm that the work carried out meets the UK Technical Standard, BS 7671. (this should be issued relatively quickly)
- If the electrical work carried out is covered under Building Regulations, you should receive a certificate to confirm that the work also complies with the applicable Building Regulations. (this can take some time to arrive)
- Once you have received the certificate(s) relating to the electrical work ensure you put them in a safe place as you may need to provide them as proof that you have had electrical work carried out, especially if you decide to sell the property in the future.
10 warning signs to spot a rogue electrician
The rogue electrician:
- Avoids giving references
- Only supplies a mobile no. and there is no address on their letterhead/business card.
- Will always offer to the job ‘cheaper for cash’
- Says they can start tomorrow – a registered electrician is usually booked up well in advance.
- Will not provide a written quote or confirm anything in writing.
- Tells the customer they are approved by an organisation that has never heard of them.
- Tells the customer not to worry about the details of the job.
- Confuses the customer with jargon and complicated explanations.
- Cannot give a specific cost for materials or labour.
- Provides a quote that is surprisingly low – if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is!
With pro-lec Electrical you will get
- A Company that is Fully insured with more cover than the industry norm
- Staff that undergo continual training
- Past and Current Clients that are happy to talk about their experience with us
- A company that will issue the relevant paperwork on completion of your project
- A company who when things go wrong take responsibility and put things right
- A company who stick to the quoted price as long as the job hasn’t changed
- A company that will only ever take a deposit until the job is completed
- A company that offers a Six Year Insurance Backed Warrantee on all installation work
- A team of Staff that are only too happy to answer your queries and concerns
If you need any more assistance in choosing a trades man then I am here for you and more than happy to answer any questions please contact me, Adam Hearson
I look forward to being of assistance to you